7 Simple Homemade Dog Food Recipes
If you have a pet, then you are aware of the time and effort that goes into keeping them. It’s almost like raising a child, but with a more challenging mode of communication. Dogs are great companions, and they come in several breeds that one can pick from. For you to enjoy the time spent with these animals, they will have to be well fed. There are various canned foods available that serve as convenient ways to feed your pup. But just like humans enjoy changing up their diet with creative ingredients, it is good to switch up your dog’s meals. Once in a while, you can cook for your pet so that you can include healthy ingredients and have control over what your dog eats. Here are some simple homemade dog food recipes that are easy to make at home and other helpful information about dogs’ diets.
What Should Be In A Dog’s Diet?
What you feed your dog will depend on factors including age, size, and health requirements. However, there are some general rules to follow when formulating their meals. Unlike cats, dogs’ diets are not strictly carnivorous, and they can have other ingredients like fruits and vegetables. This can be attributed to the domestication of the species by humans. Dog food should contain a protein source, mostly meat, fruits, grains, and vegetables. As mentioned earlier, dogs also experience life stages and what you feed them will differ based on what stage in life they are in. Puppies will be fed differently from adult dogs or adolescent dogs. Another factor to consider is the dietary requirement of your pet since the health needs of dogs differ from dog to dog. Dry or wet kibble are acceptable as food for your dog but you can also cook some fresh ingredients for them. The downside about canned food is the possible additives and preservatives included because of all the processing.
It is okay to feed our dog raw food, but it comes with some rules. First, human-grade meat is a better option for pet meat since the latter may contain harmful preservatives. Secondly, raw food is more likely to have health issues like salmonella and other food-borne bacteria, and hence you will have to be extra hygienic. Some things to avoid include vegetables like onions, garlic, salty foods, chocolate, citrus, milk, and lactose as well as raw yeast dough. Dogs experience allergies to and about 20% are food-related, and the mentioned foods are some causes.
Grains are a big deal when it comes to dog food allergies and there is a lot of talk concerning the ingredient. Even though there is not much research to serve as evidence, grains are not so bad for dogs and are a wholesome source of nutrients. However, since dogs differ in what is right for their health or not, some will react to grain while others will not. If your dog will react negatively to the ingredient, then grain-free homemade dog food is the best choice. To know the right proportion of elements to include in your homemade dog food, you can consult a veterinarian to help. Generally, a dog’s diet should contain 10% carbohydrates, 40% protein, 50% fresh vegetables, fat from oil or meat, calcium and fatty acids.
Homemade Dog Food Recipes
This is an eco-friendly recipe that utilizes ingredients that are otherwise thrown away like broccoli stems but make delicious treats. This recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare, and about 15 to 20 minutes to cook, producing nearly two servings. You will need two carrots, a broccoli head with the stem, two potatoes, olive oil, squash and two salmon portions with the skin.
- Cut the squash and broccoli stem into smaller pieces
- Peel the potatoes and carrots without throwing away the peelings
- Put the carrot, squash, broccoli stem and potatoes, together with the skins in a pressure cooker to cook for a while
- Pour some oil into a saucepan and place it on medium heat
- Fry pieces of the salmon in the pan
- Once the skin is crisp peel it off and put it in the dog bowl
- Add the cooked content from the pressure cooker into the dog bowl
- Mix the food to leave your pet with a delicious meal
If you are in the mood to give your pup some chicken, then this recipe is excellent for you. It takes about 20 minutes to cook with 5 minutes of preparation time, and you get two cups of food. The ingredients include two chicken breasts, one cup of mixed vegetables, olive oil, two cups of chicken broth, and a quarter cup of rolled oats.
- Chop the chicken breast into sizes of your choice
- Pour some oil into a saucepan
- Put the pan over medium heat and place the chicken into it
- Sauté the pieces until they are well cooked
- Add the mixed vegetables, rolled oats and chicken broth
- Close the pan and let the content simmer for around 15 to 20 minutes
- Make sure you cool the meal before serving to the dog
Turkey Veggie Mix
Another tasty dish homemade dish you can feed your pet is this recipe. It is rich with a balance of the necessary nutrients needed for healthy growth. It has a preparation time of 10 minutes and a cooking time of 30 to 40 minutes, and you get about 12 cups of food. The ingredients include a pound of turkey, a cup of mixed vegetables, six cups of water, and two cups of uncooked brown rice.
- Put the water, rice and turkey together in a large pan
- Put the stove on high heat and let the content of the pan boil
- After boiling for some time reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer
- Chop the vegetables and include them in the pan
- Let the mixture cook for another 10 minutes or until fully cooked
- Allow the meal to cool and then serve to your dog
Frozen Banana Delight
Dogs also enjoy refreshing treats, and this recipe will allow you to provide it for them from the comfort of your home. It takes five minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook and will yield 10 cups of the delicious treat. The ingredients include four cups of plain, unsweetened yogurt, two tablespoons of peanut butter and three ripe bananas (peeled and mashed).
- Put the ingredients together in a blender and mix until there is an even consistency
- Pour the liquid into your preferred size of cups
- Place in the freezer to cool and voila, you and your dog are good to go
This recipe is excellent if you want to make a vegetarian dish and provides the same deliciousness to your pet. It produces healthy biscuits that are good for your dog’s stomach and is instrumental in solving digestive tract issues. You get about 24 fluid ounces of food after an hour of cooking time and five minutes of preparation time. The ingredients are olive oil, an egg, two cups of rice flour, 2/3 cup of pumpkin puree, and 1/3 cup of cold water.
- Heat the oven to about 350 degrees
- Mix some rice flour and oil in a bowl
- Use a whisk to get the pumpkin puree and egg to an even consistency
- Then add the pumpkin mixture to the rice and oil mixture
- Pour water into the mixture slowly, while stirring
- You can also use your hand to mix the ingredients until you attain a smooth dough
- Prepare a baking tray with some baking paper and distribute the mixture according to your preferred thickness
- Let it bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until you can see cracks on the surface
- Remove it from the oven and cut it into your desired sizes
- Allow it to cool and store in airtight containers
Just like the name suggests, this homemade meal is a mixture of vegetables made into a delicious meal. It is perfect for dogs with allergies, and not only do they reap useful nutrients, but the meal is also easy to cook as well. You will spend about 30 minutes cooking and 10 minutes preparing it, making about four cups in the process. The ingredients include one sweet potato, six kale leaf stems, 2/3 cup of uncooked brown rice, one can of drained and rinsed black beans. You will also need 1 ½ cup of water and a cup of mixed vegetables.
- Cut the vegetables into bite sizes
- Put the chopped vegetables, with some water, into a pressure cooker
- Allow the veggies to simmer for some time by reducing the heat
- Mix rice and water into a slow cooker and let it boil
- Mix all the cooked ingredients, and it is ready to serve
Calcium-rich Dog Food
Calcium is an essential nutrient in the development of strong bones, which your dog needs for its activity. The ingredients include 500g of minced meat or beef, four cups of cooked oats or brown rice, ½ cup of dry breadcrumbs, and a crushed dog vitamin. You will also need a quarter cup of vegetable oil, three teaspoons of bone meal, and ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese. It does not take a long time to cook, and you get six servings out of a meal.
- Brown the meat in a frying pan over medium heat, while stirring regularly
- Include the other ingredients, as well as adequate water to keep the mixture fluid enough
- After it is thoroughly cooked, leave it to cool and serve or store in a refrigerator.
Pros of Homemade Food
- One of the main benefits of learning how to make your dog food is that you can see and control what goes into your dog’s meals. You no longer have to guess what is in a can of food, making it safer and more trustworthy. You also have the opportunity to clean the ingredient of how you like them and in a way that is healthy for your dog.
- Your dog also benefits from homemade food in that they get shinier and healthier coats. Processed foods usually contain filler and additives that will jeopardize the production of healthy oils that promote skin development. Homemade meals, on the other hand, contain fatty acids that hydrate and promote healthy skin and coats.
- You get to spend more time with your furry companion when you decide to cook for them. Homemade food generally maintains the health of your pet, allows you to have them with you for a more extended period. You will not be visiting the vet unless it is for routine checks, and your bonding time will be more wholesome.
How To Store Homemade Food?
After you have learned how to make dog food, the next step is to figure out how to keep it so that it does not go bad. Some things to consider are the packaging, temperature, and moisture to ensure the food lasts for an extended time. Most dog foods will need to be refrigerated while others will need to be kept in airtight containers in cool, dry places. Proper storage not only makes the food last long but also retains the original taste and flavor.
It is very convenient to open a can of dog food to feed your pet, but to what extent is that helping them grow healthy? As observed, homemade dog food provides more benefits to your pet that the processed alternative due to all the additives the latter offers. Having a busy schedule is not an excuse anymore since there are some simple recipes you can follow to make delicious meals for your pet. What you feed your dog will depend on factors like age, size, and health requirements and you must make sure they’re getting what they need. To be very sure your dog is on the right diet, you can ask a vet to help you with the portions.