If you have a dog that bounds out of the house, eager for a walk whatever the weather, you may not appreciate why anyone would want a dog umbrella. But if you are fed up of seeing your little pooch cowering in the doorway looking sadly at the torrential rain, you’ll understand perfectly.
A pet umbrella is very similar to a human umbrella except that the handle comes out of the top so that you can hold it. They only suit small dogs and are strong enough to stand up to heavy rain. They also help you to avoid hours drying your soaking wet pooch and make that ‘wet dog smell’ less likely. Some are even transparent so that your pooch can see what you are doing! If you think your little dog would benefit from a dog umbrella, check out our guide.
The Best Umbrella for Dogs
Specifically designed for small dogs who are not that fond of getting wet, this dog umbrella opens up to a diameter of over 28 inches. It will suit breeds that have a back length of up to 19 inches so if you have a breed such as a Yorkie or a Pomeranian this will be ideal for you. The fabric is totally transparent, giving you a great view of your dog at all times.
Support is provided by eight strong stainless steel ribs in a frame and there is a strong stainless steel chain to connect it to a collar. It comes with a 20.8 inch handle which is easy to assemble. This is ergonomically designed for your comfort.
Designed for small dogs
Folds away when not in use
Opens to a diameter of over 28 inches
Attaches to collar with stainless steel chain
- Weight12.8 ounces
You’ll have the most stylish pup on the block with this super cute umbrella that’s available in several colors. It comes with a leash but can also connect to a harness if you prefer.
For safety at night and when the lighting is poor, the umbrella is bordered with a reflective material. When not in use, it collapses down to just two inches in diameter and is easy to put up and take down. It has strong metal hinges that can stand up to heavy rain and wind. You can choose from several attractive colors.
Stylish and cute deign
Will connect to a leash or harness
Reflective edging for safety
Easy to put and down
- Weight8 ounces
Protect your small breed pooch or pup from the rain and keep their gorgeous coat dry with this cute dog umbrella. It protects from rain, snow and hail and makes walks a lot more pleasant for your pooch. It suits dogs and pups with a back length of between nine and 20 inches so that’s usually a weight of between 12 and 15 pounds. It’s just right for breeds such as the chihuahua and shih tzu as the diameter of the protected area is around 29 inches.
Because the umbrella is completely transparent, you will always be able to see what your dog is up to and they can see you for reassurance. When not in use, it folds up easily into a compact size that is great for transport and storage. It comes with a metal chain leash of about eight inches in length and the umbrella stick itself is around 26 inches long.
Suitable for small breeds
Opens up to 29 inches in diameter
Easy to store
- BrandPerfect Life Ideas
- Weight7 ounces
Providing useful protection from the elements, this dog umbrella is just what you’ve been looking for to make those walks in the rain a bit less unpleasant. You can use this umbrella leash for smaller breed dogs and pups as it is designed to cover dogs who weigh under 12 pounds and are less than 19 inches in length.
It comes with a built-in leash hook, handle and shaft. It has a strong and durable construction – the strong frame is made from solid metal and the fabric is a transparent polyester. The umbrella folds up easily when not in use.
Great protection from the elements
Suitable for small breeds and pups
Comes with a built-in leash hook
Made from transparent polyester
- BrandK&L Pet
- Weight10.4 ounces
A lightweight but strong doggy umbrella manufactured from the highest quality materials and built to withstand bad weather. It is designed specifically for dogs and has a strong metal frame. The fabric of the umbrella is strong PE plastic which is transparent.
It has a diameter of 75 cm and will therefore cover most small breeds. It comes with a built-in leash hook to attach the umbrella to a leash, harness or collar.
Lightweight and folds up easily
Strong metal frame
Transparent PE plastic
Comes with a built-in leash hook
- Weight8 ounces
Best Umbrellas for Dogs Buying Guide & FAQ
What to Look for When Buying Umbrella for Dogs
An umbrella dog leash is a fairly unusual purchase so it is not surprising if you are not sure what you are looking for. To help you make the right purchase, here are the main features that should be of use.
- There is no point in getting a dog umbrella if most of their body is going to be sticking out from it! The recommended maximum dog size will be given by the manufacturer.
- Do you want the umbrella to attach to a collar, harness or leash? Most have stainless steel chains for this purpose so check out if it is compatible with the other gear you have for your dog.
- It can be very useful to see your pooch when you are out for a walk. Nervous dogs will also want to see you. A transparent umbrella lets you do this.
- Pet umbrellas need to be able to stand up to harsh weather in the same way as human umbrellas. Look out for one that has a strong metal frame.
Benefits of Using an Umbrella Dog Leash
On the face of it, a dog umbrella seems a slightly bizarre concept to some people but once you look at the practicalities of taking a dog out for a walk in the rain, it is easy to see why they are becoming so popular. Here are some of the main benefits that they bring.
- They encourage exercise: Obesity is a growing health problem amongst dogs in the US and a lack of exercise is part of the problem. Even small breeds need some exercise but they don’t all like going out in the rain. A dog umbrella may be a good way of encouraging your pooch to get out more!
- They help with behavioral problems: Dogs that are not mentally stimulated can develop behavioral issues. A bored dog is not a happy dog! A dog umbrella allows you to get your pooch out for some mental stimulation even if they do not like the rain.
- They remove the need for a coat: The alternative way to keep your pooch dry is using a coat. However, some owners find them fiddly to fit and not all dogs like them. They also get wet and muddy and have to be cleaned.
- They keep puppies safe: Pups can get pneumonia if they get too wet and are not dried off properly. A puppy umbrella will keep them dry and safe whilst they are young and vulnerable. They reduce owner anxiety about the first walks.
- They cut down on drying time: Drying your dog off after a walk can take almost as long as the walk itself and is a lot of hassle. When you use a dog umbrella, only their paws will get wet!
- They get rid of ‘wet dog’ smell: The ‘wet dog’ odor is one of the downsides of owning a dog and a dog umbrella helps to eliminate it.
- They provide a sun shade: Umbrellas don’t just protect from the rain. They also provide useful protection from the sun in the warmer months.
Best Umbrellas for Dogs FAQ:
Q: What is an umbrella for dogs?
A: An umbrella for dogs is essentially the same as the human version but with a few small modifications. Because your pooch cannot hold the umbrella themselves, the whole design has to be turned upside down! So, the handle comes out of the top of the canopy rather than from underneath it. This allows you to use it like a portable shelter that moves as your dog walks forward. There is also a means of attaching it to your dog. In all other respects, it looks just like a regular umbrella.
Q: Are umbrella dog leashes suitable for large breed dogs?
A: There is a limit to how large the canopy of the umbrella can be. You have to hold it away from your body and your arm has a limited length! Therefore, the canopy cannot have a diameter of more than around 30 inches. This is only big enough to cover puppies and small breed adult dogs. If your pooch has a back length of more than around 20 inches, this is unlikely to work for you. Most manufacturers give recommendations for the size of dog that their product will suit. A dog umbrella is ideal for breeds such as Pomeranians and Yorkies. If you have a Great Dane, this is not the product for you!
Q: Does every dog umbrella come with a leash attachment?
A: Many but not all dog umbrellas come with a leash attachment. It is just a hook or a clasp that fixes onto a regular leash. It may also attach to a collar or a harness. Most of these have been designed as chains (of varying lengths) and are made out of stainless steel.
Q: Can it be attached to a harness?
A: Most harnesses have D ring attachments and the hook or clasp on the umbrella leash attachment can fix onto this. Some manufacturers describe their products as compatible with all types of harness.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick of the best umbrella for dogs opens up to a diameter of over 28 inches. It will suit breeds that have a back length of up to 19 inches. The fabric is totally transparent, giving you a great view of your dog at all times.
Support is provided by eight strong stainless steel ribs in a frame and there is a strong stainless steel chain to connect it to a collar. It comes with a 20.8 inch handle which is easy to assemble and there is a chain to attach to a leash.