Boredom truly is the enemy of dogs. And dogs love to chew, especially when they are bored and have nothing else to do or no one to play with. Chewing keeps them from getting bored. This type of chewing has nothing to do with hunger. And, as dog owners, we may not always be available to keep our dogs busy with one activity or another. The last thing we want is to see our canine buddies chew on our furniture or, even worse, on something dirty and dangerous to their health. This is why dog chews are such excellent inventions for our canine friends, giving them something safe and affordable to chew on. In this article, we will review the best dog chews you should be considering to prevent doggie boredom…and protect your furniture.
The Best Dog Chews
Let’s set things rolling with Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy as it is also our pick for the best choice. When it comes to dog chew toys, Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy is one of the best. It is made with nylon to ensure that your dog has easy chewing access while ensuring at the same time that it is not easily destroyed by even the strongest of dog teeth. When you are not at home to give your dog something edible to chew on, then Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy is a very good alternative. However, it is available in different sizes to choose from. Thus, you have to make sure that you pick the right size for your dog as bigger dogs can easily destroy the smaller toy sizes.
Available in three different flavors
Safe to chew on
- Weight5.9 ounces
Up next on our list is Kong Classic Dog Chew. Kong dog toys for chewing are popular among buyers for several reasons. To begin with, it has this classic and yet modern design that most dog owners and dogs seem to love. Plus, the same design is available in a variety of colors to choose from. One great thing about its design is that aside from the fact that your dog can chew on it as it is made with rubber, you can also stuff it with your dog’s favorite treats and leave it to try to get them out. This is certain to keep your dog busy for as long as you want it to as it tries to get the treats out. Kong Classic Dog Chew is made of very durable rubber that will without the abuse from your dog’s teeth. Plus, it is washable and comes in different sizes to choose from.
Made of durable rubber
Available in five different sizes
Good for stuffing
Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning
- Weight7.2 ounces
Next on our list of dog toys is Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews For Dogs. Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews For Dogs is available in six different sizes to choose from. If you are looking for a chew toy for dogs that will also help to clean their teeth, then you should be looking at Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews For Dogs. This oral hygiene chew for dogs will not only give your dog something to chew on but will also reduce your visits to the vet. One other thing that buyers love about this dog chew toy is its ability to remove plaque and calculus. Each package comes with 30 chew toys in small sizes made from edible beef hide. But all you need is one treat a day to keep your dog’s teeth clean and its jaws busy.
Available in different sizes to choose from
Each package contains 30 treats
Ideal for good oral health
Made from beef hide
- Weight10.1 ounces
Nylabone Dura Chew Power Chew Dog Toy is made purposely for the dogs that chew heavily. Thus, if you know that your dog is on the heavier side when it comes to chewing, then you need long lasting dog chews. A good example of such is the Nylabone Dura Chew Power Chew Dog Toy. This dog chew is well-known as an ideal option for big dogs with strong jaws. It is made of durable nylon and comes in a variety of flavors to choose from. Also, it is tough, with a texture that is well-suited for heavy jaws. Aside from being a durable dog chew, it can also be used on a game of fetch. And, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to dirt as it is easily washable. Plus, Nylabone Dura Chew Power Chew Dog Toy will satisfy your dog’s natural urge to chew and, thus, help keep it in a healthy weight.
Made of durable nylon
Designed for aggressive chewers
Available in a variety of flavors
Can also be used for a game of fetch
- Weight9.6 ounces
Up next, we have the Pawstruck Natural Cow Hooves For Dogs. Okay, it is perfectly understandable if you consider this option a bit too gross for your dog. But hey, remember that your dog can sink its teeth into basically anything. The good thing is, Pawstruck Natural Cow Hooves For Dogs is not just “anything.” It is one of the best dog chews you can spend money on. Plus, it made it onto our list, didn’t it? However, if you have a big dog with strong jaws, you will have to keep a constant eye on it whenever it has this dog chew toy between its jaws as it could easily crack it and swallow a piece or two of the broken pieces. One great thing about this natural hard dog dental chew is that it helps to remove and clean away harmful plaque and tartar, leading to improvements in overall dental and gum health.
Made from natural cow hooves
Ideal for cleaning plaque and tartar
Contains no artificial ingredient
Available in different sizes to choose from
- Weight1.4 pounds
Himalayan Large Dog Chew makes our list as our premium pick for a number of reasons. To begin with, these dog chews are made from cow milk, salt, lime juice, and yak cheese and are completely without any grain in their ingredients. But you probably raised an eyebrow at “yak cheese,” right? Anyway, yak cheese has great taste, apparently, for dogs. And yet, Himalayan Large Dog Chew is somehow durable (considering its ingredients) and chewable enough to keep your dog busy for some time. However, do not bet on the big dogs; they can devour this treat in a matter of minutes. As you may have noticed from its ingredients, it is all-natural and contains no preservatives. Plus, it is available in large and small pieces to choose from.
Available in different sizes
Ancient recipe from the Himalayas
Contains no lactose
- BrandHimalayan Dog Chew
- Weight10.6 ounces
From our premium pick, we move on to the next product, N-Bone Puppy Teething Rings. Just as its name suggests, N-Bone Puppy Teething Rings are designed purposely to help puppies with teething problems. Just like we have it with human babies, puppies that are beginning to grow teeth struggle with a lot of discomfort in their gums. This dog chew is made to help relieve puppies of sore gums while ensuring that they are kept busy at the same time. N-Bone Puppy Teething Rings. Are available in four different packages to choose from with each pack containing six rings. One great thing about these teething rings is that they contain calcium or strong bone. Plus, they are both edible and digestible, so you have nothing to worry about. They are also fortified with omega 3 fatty acids.
Made for teething puppies
Edible and digestible
Contains omega 3 fatty acids
- Weight8.5 ounces
Kong is back! But this time with the Kong Tires Extreme Dog Toy. “Extreme” sure is the right word when you take a first look at Kong Tires Extreme Dog Toy. It is made from a very durable rubber, just the previous one reviewed. Also, it is available in small, medium, and large sizes to choose from. You may be wondering why Kong decided to go a bit extreme with this one. This is because the Kong Tires Extreme Dog Toy was made purposely for the very aggressive and strong chewers. Let’s face it. Almost all the products reviewed so far can be destroyed by the ‘right’ dogs. Kong wants to make sure that even the most insane of canine teeth will not be able to do damage to this one. Aside from chewing on it, you can stuff some of your dog’s favorite treats in it. Also, it has been designed to be able to be used in a game of fetch with your dog. Plus, it is easily washable and reusable.
Available in small, medium, and large
Great for stuffing dog treats
Made for medium and large dogs size 15 pounds to 65 pounds
Made of durable rubber
- Weight7 ounces
It is time to talk about our pick for the best value, Petstages Dogwood Wooden Dog Chew Toy. Dogs love chewing on pieces of wood and sticks when they get the chance to. So, why not design a dog chew toy to look like a piece of wood? Clever, right? Petstages Dogwood Wooden Dog Chew Toy looks exactly like a piece of wood with all the taste and texture of real wood. It is available in two different flavors to choose from plus a BBQ flavor that your dog is sure to love. Also, it is safe to chew on as it contains no toxic and is actually a healthier alternative to natural sticks. Plus, it will satisfy all your dog’s cravings to chew. Petstages Dogwood Wooden Dog Chew Toy is made from durable synthetic and is available in a wide range of sizes to choose from.
Made of durable synthetic
Available in different sizes
Good for interactive play
Two flavors to choose from
- Weight4.2 ounces
Our last but not least entry is Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews. These are more than safe dog bones for chewing as they do much more. Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews have been specially formulated to not only give your dog fresh breath but also to help improve the oral health of your dog. Each dog chew contains essential minerals. Chief among them is calcium, which will help to promote strong bones and teeth. Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews is available in three sizes to choose from – mini, small, and medium sizes. Also, it is available in different packs to choose from. Each pack contains a different number of dog chews ranging from 5 treats to 68 treats. Thus, if you are looking for dog chews that work like a toothbrush but taste like treats, then Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews are your option.
Available in three different sizes
Comes in different packages
Contains calcium and essential minerals
Ideal for promoting good oral hygiene
- Weight2 pounds
Best Dog Chews Buying Guide & FAQ
What to Look for in the Best Dog Chew
There are a few things to put into consideration before you decide on what type of dog chew to purchase.
- Nature of your dog: This is almost the most important as the kind of chewing habit your dog has will determine what type of dog chew is safe or unsafe for it. For example, if you own a very big dog that chews very aggressively, then you should not opt for a chew toy that it can easily break into pieces and swallow up.
- Hardness: The simplest way to check if a chew toy is too hard for your dog is to press it with your thumb. If pressing it does not cause any dent, then it is too hard for your dog. Be mindful that chew toys that are too hard can easily cause injury to your dog’s teeth.
- Durability: While it should not be too hard, it should not be too soft also as your dog may be able to destroy it easily or break it into small pieces that can be swallowed easily.
- Artificial coating: To keep your dog safe, do not purchase chew toys that come with artificially-flavored coatings as these could cause serious harm to your dog when digested.
- Shape and size: Your ideal chew toy should have the right size and shape for your dog. If it is too small, your dog might swallow it accidentally or choke on it. If it is too cumbersome to chew on, your dog will abandon it.
- Washability: You want a toy that can be washed and reused. Getting one is dishwasher-safe is recommended.
- Versatility: The more the chew toy can do, the better. Some toys can also be used as fetch toys. Others can also be stuffed with treats.
Dog Chews to Avoid
We have gone through some things to consider before purchasing a dog chew. Some let’s consider some things to avoid.
- Small stuff: It is best to avoid chew toys that are too small as these can easily lead to choking or swallowing.
- Indigestible: Talking about swallowing; as a rule of thumb, it is best to avoid indigestible materials as they can cause serious abdominal pain.
- Artificial flavors: It is much safer to stay away from chew toys that are coated with artificial flavors as they can cause a lot of harm when ingested.
- Too hard: As mentioned earlier, dog chew toys that are too hard (for example, hard plastic, and hard nylon), can cause serious damage to your dog’s teeth. It is best to avoid them.
Benefits of Dog Chews
Dog chews offer three main benefits. Let’s take a look at them.
- Natural urges: Dog chews satisfy the natural urges and craving that dogs have to chew on things. It is not an uncommon sight to find your dog busily gnawing on a piece of wood from outside or even your furniture. Dog chews help to satisfy such urges. There are also some types that help to soothe the teething problems that puppies have.
- Oral health: Aside from satisfying urges, most of the dog chews available have been specially formulated to promote good oral health. For example, they help to remove built-up tartar and plaque as the dog chew on them. These types of dog chews usually come with added essential nutrients, such as calcium.
- Mind stimulation: When a dog is busily and happily engaged in something, its mind is naturally stimulated. Also, some dog chews come with spaces to stuff some dog treats in. Your dog will have a busy time as it tries to get access to the treats.
Types of Dog Chews
There are several different types of dog chews to choose from.
- Hard chews: Most of the dog chews out there fall under this type. Hard dog chews are mostly made of flavored nylon. However, they are not too hard to cause harm to your dog’s teeth. Plus, they do not splinter and can withstand the teeth of even the most aggressive chewers.
- Oral health chews: These types of chews come with the added benefit of cleaning up any tartar or plaque build-up as your dog chews on them. Thus are designed purposely to promote good oral health.
- Toy chews: These chews can also be used in other games with your dog, such as fetch.
- Natural chews: Natural chews are usually edible. Thus, aside from chewing on them, your dog can digest them safely.
Best Dog Chews FAQ:
Q: Is nylabone safe for dogs to eat?
A: The simple answer is yes. Nylabone is safe for dogs to eat. However, it is not safe for all dog ages. Nylabone can only be ingested by dogs that have grown all their adult teeth. Thus, it is not safe to be ingested by dogs that are not mature as their digestive systems are not developed enough to digest it.
Q: How should I store bully sticks for my dog?
A: To keep bully sticks in fresh condition for a long time, you need to store them in airtight containers. Fortunately, most bully sticks come in packages or bags that are airtight and resealable. Thus, you can store the sticks in the bag and make sure that you keep them in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight. Do not store your bully sticks in a refrigerator or deep freezer.
Q: Will the chew damage my dog’s teeth?
A: As mentioned earlier, you have to avoid dog chews that are too hard or made of too hard material as they can cause damage to your dog’s teeth. However, fortunately, most of the dog chews available are not made of a material that can damage a dog’s teeth.
Q: Can edible chews go bad?
A: Yes, edible chews can go bad. In fact, anything that is edible can go bad at some point. Thus, edible chews come with expiry dates. Be sure always to check the expiry date before you make your purchase to prevent you from buying an expired product and putting the health of your dog at risk.
Our Top Pick
As mentioned at the beginning stages of this article, Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy is our top pick. Here is a quick recap of its features. First of all, it is available in three different flavors and safe to chew on but not edible. Also, it comes in a friendly dog design and is available in four different sizes to choose from. It is made with durable nylon. Plus, your money goes into donations to dog shelters and charities.
- How to ‘Chews’ the Best Dog Chew Toys - Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences